ST. PAUL, Minnesota (FOX 9) – The St. Paul Farmers’ Market in Lowertown hosts its annual “Well in March” food and wellness celebration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday.
David Kotsonas, director of operations for the St. Paul Growers Association, shows a preview of the Chocolate Banana Chaga Pancakes recipe that will be showcased at the “Well into March” food and wellness celebration on Saturday .
The food and wellness event will highlight free healthy cooking recipes, including food demonstrations by market vendors. There is also a free outdoor yoga class from 10-11am.
You can also bring supplies to donate to the fundraising campaign for Face to Face, a non-profit organization that serves homeless people and underhoused youth in Ramsey County. Buyers are encouraged to bring deodorant, shampoo/conditioner and full-size toothpaste and other necessary supplies.
Learn more about the “Well in March” event here.
St. Paul Farmers Market Winter Schedule (St. Paul Farmer’s Market)
Chocolate Banana Chaga Pancakes
The recipe is provided by R&R Culture. Original recipe courtesy of Asia Strom (@meatlessmamabear)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Cooking temperature: 375° Griddle/ Frying Pan Medium-High Heat
Yields: 6 pancakes
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 ripe banana (extra for serving)
- 1 cup soy milk or plant milk
- 2 tablespoons Chaga
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or ⅓ cup fresh/frozen blueberries (extra for serving)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional) To taste more like buttermilk pancakes
- Place banana, maple syrup, and vanilla in a medium-sized mixing bowl and mash ingredients until smooth.
- Pour in the milk and vinegar and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour and chaga and mix until they come together.
- Stir in chocolate chips or blueberries.
- Use a ⅓ measuring cup to pour the batter onto your griddle or hot pan. If using a frying pan, use a little oil to prevent sticking. This should give you 6 equal sized pancakes with 1 serving of chaga per pancake.
- When the pancakes are bubbling all over and starting to pop, it’s time to flip them! This should take about 2 minutes.
- Cook for about 2 minutes more on the other side and place on a plate.
- Serve with banana slices, vegan butter, extra chocolate and maple syrup. Fresh berries would also be super delicious! Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Chaga Mushroom (provided by R&R Cultivation)
These Chocolate Chaga Banana Pancakes are perfect for a lazy weekend morning. They are so easy and quick to prepare with only 8 ingredients! Chaga is the perfect ingredient when it comes to unwinding and enjoying your morning with your loved ones. Not only does chaga help your body relax and de-stress, it also helps support your immune system, fight cancer, and slow the aging process! I have tried this recipe in different ways and replacing the chocolate chips with blueberries is amazing too! I go back and forth fairly frequently between the two. So if chocolate isn’t your thing, I’ve got you covered.
You can also add chaga to your morning cup of coffee, just add a teaspoon to your coffee grounds and brew as usual. These pancakes also freeze very well. I usually place them in a zip lock bag with a small piece of lined parchment paper between each pancake. When I want a quick breakfast, I put it in the microwave for 1 minute and they’re ready to go. Alternatively, you can put them in the toaster if you prefer them to have a slight crackle. Both ways are delicious! I hope you will like this recipe as much as I do and try it for yourself!